In the broadest sense, sustainability means “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.”
As a landscape architect I am in a unique position to recommend sustainable practices and products to my clients. Here are just some of the ways that I incorporate sustainable practices and products in my practice:
- Thoughtfully develop land to preserve topsoil and reduce erosion and sedimentation.
- Filter storm water.
- Selectively remove vegetation and recycle waste products on-site.
- Preserve water resources by incorporating on-site storage and reuse.
- Preserve the existing landscape.
- Use native plant materials.
- Select pervious paving materials.
- Preserve energy resources by selecting low energy lighting.
- Select products with recycled content wherever appropriate.
- Select locally or regionally manufactured products whenever possible.
- Select products with green certifications when available.